31.1.07

A Visual Raison D'Etre: Triplets de Belleville



Not a spoken word in the film, but it conveys a moving and brilliant story. If I had to live inside an illustrated world, it would be the Triplets of Belleville.

The illustrations and the sounds are seamless. Visually, it is one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. The precision is amazing, from the bicycle wheels to the riders' form to the triplets movements as they play their fridgerator, vacuum and newspaper on stage.

Muted colors and intricate scenery delight the eye. The film has visual ambience. It's pleasing the view without seeming to try too hard. It's subtle. The film shyly flirts with the scopophile. "You're welcome to gaze at my beauty. Look and believe."

A must-see. A favorite.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

great film!

Katherine said...

I loved this movie! It's amazing how much more you get sucked in when dialogue doesn't get in the way.

PS - I'm so in awe of your project and all the doors of thought it opens. I definitely got a new wrinkle or two in my brain after thinking about your topic. Awesome job =)