7.2.07

a continued project



Unskilled photographer, shy subject. Mymeesis.

She's part of a project this semester.

I would like to make a short film which examines Jean Baudrillard’s argument in Simulations in terms of contemporary virtual reality, specifically the virtual world Second Life.

"And after a thousand years these and those alike come to the allotment and choice of their second life, each choosing according to her will, then does the soul of a man enter into the life of a beast and the beast's soul that was aforetime in a man goes back to a man again." Plato, Phaedrus

I plan on using my prior research on Baudrillard and Second Life and the paper I wrote in fall of 2006 “For material systems of labeling: Second Life’s players as active participants in the real.”

In the paper, I argue that Baudrillards claim that “we are in the desert of the real” and “the real...is no longer real at all” evidences the double nature of our relationship to technology. On one hand we recognize virtual reality as a “precession of simulacra,” but this system of labeling poses serious risks for us as subjects because they limit and potentially prevent our access to understanding the real, material power of images.

Examples of this material power of images in relation to Second Life includes Congress’ recent interest in taxing in-world assets and individuals’ physical, economic, emotional and mental states that have been (according to them) influenced by participating in Second Life.

I would like to expand my prior research through incorporating more scholarly material (from Greek philosophy to contemporary theories of technology), news articles, interviews with Second Life participants and the novel Snow Crash.

For the film, I plan to use clips from Second Life, segments of my interviews with gaming participants, and Short Keynote Flash segments to present text.

After the project is completed, I hope to learn more about visual design, specifically film production, the personal experiences of Second Life participants, and theories of virtual reality and simulations.

1 comment:

Frankie said...

I think this is a very interesting idea and am confident it will cover many different points of view for the second life scenarios. I am a little curious as to how the video will come together and how much of a part the interviews will play in the video. At this point, the project weight seems to be in the paper, although I have no doubt that Caroline will be able to connect everything together clearly.